How Long Are Whales? (Math)
The students will collect different whale lengths and be able to compare these lengths using rope measurements.
- Rope/string 100 ft long
- Index cards
- Tape measure
- List of whale lengths
- Large amount of space: hallway or gym
- Divide students into groups of 2 - 4 depending on class size.
- Have students research different whale lengths using the library/computer or a whale lengths handout.
- Use markers to label the index cards for each whale to be measured.
- Using the tape measure, students mark off each whale length on the rope.
- Use tape to attach the index card representing that whale's length.
- Teacher can create the whale rope with only the measurements marked.
- Divide the class into enough groups to represent each whale marked.
- Take the group outside/hallway/gym to unroll the whale length rope.
- Each group could prepare a paragraph describing their whale to be read to the class.
- Whale rope may be displayed in gym/hallway with each groups paragraph below the index cards.
- Each group could draw a picture of their whale and display with the rope.
- Group may present an oral report on their whale.
Students will successfully show that they understand the different whale lengths by using rope to depict whale size.
Type of Whale
Beluga (White) Whale