Re: Whales and eyebrows

From: Erich Hoyt (e.hoyt@virginnet.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 04 2000 - 14:06:06 EST

Mark,

Although some species of whales have some hair, whales do not have eyebrows
in the way that humans do. However, northern and southern right whales have
white areas above their eyes which are sometimes called "eyebrows". They are
in fact callosities -- roughened patches of skin peculiar to right whales --
which appear in various spots around the head, one of which is just
above each eye. Thus it is only the positioning that causes them to be
called eyebrows.

Best wishes,

Erich Hoyt