Re: Marine mammals

From: Erich Hoyt (e.hoyt@virginnet.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jan 10 2000 - 17:18:45 EST

The largest Orcinus orca on record was a male caught and killed by Japanese
whalers in the Pacific in the 1950s. It was 31 and a half feet long and
weighed an estimated 9 tons. In this same study there were females at up to
27 feet with a weight of 5-6 tons.

In the wild off British Columbia where I worked for some years the longest
males were probably closer to 23 feet at maturity (according to the largest
stranded bulls found) and the females just under 20 feet.

Orcas are smaller around Iceland and Norway than in the Pacific, and almost
certainly they vary in size in other oceans but they have been less studied.

Regarding Megalodon -- it sounds as if you are interested in big predators!
-- this was indeed one of the biggest sea predator that ever lived. Richard
Ellis in his book MONSTERS OF THE SEA has an illustration of what Megalodon
might have looked like and it's positioned against a great white shark and a
human, both of which look decidedly small in comparison. Of course, all we
have left of Megalodon are some fossil teeth, so there's lots of room for
speculation. But the teeth are truly impressive -- almost 8 inches long,
compared to the great white shark at 3 inches only.

The Megalodon or giant shark is believed to have gone extinct at least
100,000 years ago.

Hope this helps satisfy your curiosity.

Erich Hoyt

kburnett@whale.wheelock.edu