Re: thank you

From: Erich Hoyt (e.hoyt@virginnet.co.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 11 2000 - 16:55:23 EST

Merlin,

Did you know that blue whales can communicate across oceans? Their loud,
very low sounds at certain depths can travel for hundreds even thousands of
miles. This has been shown in the North Atlantic through an array of
hydrophones (underwater microphones) that the US Navy kept top secret until
a few yars ago. Why do blue whales send sounds across oceans? Can they
locate food this way? Can they find mates? Can they tell where they're
going? No one knows, but it does hold out the tantalizing possibility that
blue whales in effect carry maps of entire oceans in their brains.

Maybe you can one day answer some of these questions...

Best,

Erich Hoyt