Environmental impact on Whale watch and Dive with Dolphin businesses on the environment.

From: Nancy Stevick (Nancy.Stevick@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Jan 31 2000 - 16:35:52 EST

On 31 January, Linda Vermeren wrote:

>I am a second year university student at Waikato University in New Zealand.
>I am currently undertaking a small research assignment about Whale watch
>and Dive with Doplphins. (In both New Zealand and the rest of the world).I
>would appreciate information on this and in particular, the impact of whale
>watching on the environment.
>I would very much appreciate hearing from you.

Dear Linda,

Measuring the impact of whale watching and dive with dolphin programs is
very difficult, but many people have tried. I would encourage you to
read the information on International Fund for Animal Welfare's (IFAW) web
site at
http://www.physics.helsinki.fi/whale/education/ifaw/vibio/causal.html .
They have studied various whale watching operations around the world and
have
published brief papers on their findings. A synopsis of the workshop to
discuss these studies is on-line. To request additional information, you
can contact them at info@ifaw.org

You may also find useful information on the Whale Watching Web at
http://www.physics.helsinki.fi/whale/#World. They have links to other sites
which might be of interest to you.

For information on whale watching regulations in the United States, go to
the National Marine Fisheries Service web site. Their address is
http://www.nwr.noaa.gov/1seals/guidelines.pdf .

These sites should provide enough information to get you well underway on
your project. Good luck with your research and thank you for supporting
WhaleNet.

Sincerely,
Nancy Stevick