Aggressive Squid

From: Nancy Stevick (Nancy.Stevick@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 15:45:23 EST

On 1 February 2000, Tony Thompson wrote:
    Subject: Aggressive Squid

    This question will sound wacky, but here goes: Is it possible that a skindiver on the Adriatic coast of Italy could be attacked by a large squid? Assuming the squid was startled, could it attach itself to the skindiver's body so tenaciously that it would have to be pulled and pried off? Furthermore (and even stranger), could it possibly die while attached to the skindiver's body and become even more tightly attached to this poor person's body in some sort of death/rigor mortis grip? I know it all sounds nuts, but thanks in advance for any help you can be!

    Dear Tony,

    You are right. This is a wacky question. Did this happen to you? Have you been reading Jules Verne novels recently? My curiosity is aroused!

    It would be unusual for a squid to attack a diver. Squid are generally shy creatures who avoid divers and other large creatures. Squid are sometimes washed up on beaches, so I suppose that a weakened one might have clutched onto a diver before it died.

    You mentioned that this was a large squid, but you don't mention how large. Giant squid tend to live in such deep water that casual divers would not run into them.

    I don't know if this helped you or not, but this is the best answer I can give based on the details in your question.

    Cheers,
    Nancy Stevick