Re: Endangered Animals

From: Nancy Stevick (Nancy.Stevick@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 16:09:16 EST

On 1 February 2000, Maria wrote:

>I am doing a science fair project on endangered animals. I researched
>tigers, pandas, the 25 primates recently listed endangered and killer
>whales. One source told me that killer whales aren't in danger of
>extinction. what do you think? Do you have a total number of killer
>whales on earth today? In my project i said that the South China tiger
>would be the next to become extinct. What do you think? Could killer
>whales be the next ones? do you think we are doing enough to save
>them? Could we one day restabalize their population?
>
>Thank you SO much!!!
> Maria

Dear Maria,

I don't think that you need to be concerned about killer whales becoming
extinct. They have not been hunted as much as other species of whales, and
their population appears to be quite stable. I cannot give you a total
number of killer whales in the world because killer whales in the North
Atlantic move around huge areas and cannot be counted accurately.

While killer whales are not hunted today for meat, they are captured for use
in aquariums. The numbers of animals taken for use in aquariums is not high
enough to cause the extinction of this species. Many people are concerned,
however, that the removal of key members of a pod might affect the social
structure of that group. Killer whales are very social animals who form
lifelong bonds with other members of their families. Since killer whales
work together to hunt and care for young, taking members of a pod could
affect the organization of that group of whales.

I hope this answers your questions. Good luck with your project.

Nancy Stevick