whale questions

From: Nancy Stevick (Nancy.Stevick@btinternet.com)
Date: Tue Feb 01 2000 - 16:53:24 EST

On 1 February 2000, Victoria wrote:

    Dear Nancy, My name is Victoria. I'm sixteen and am doing a talk FOR whales being killed. I know that this is a odd topic being for whales being slaughtered but really I have no choice in the matter. This is a presentation for an English talk due in tomorrow so if you would be so grateful to answer me the following:-
            What whales can be used for? (as much information as possible)
            Where abouts are they killed?
            Why are they killed? (e.g traditional reasons)
            What purposes do the whales fulfil when butchered?
    Or if you could say anything else that you think could be helpful please say so.

    Dear Victoria,

    Historically, whales were hunted for their blubber which could be rendered (boiled down) into oil. Before petroleum products were available, whale oil was used in just about everything -- soap, lamps, machinery. The blubber was also eaten, as was the meat. Sometimes the meat was used as animal food. Baleen was used for ornamental combs, corset stays and buggy whips. Teeth and bones were carved and decorated with scrimshaw.

    Today, whales are primarily being hunted for their meat. The biggest whaling industries are Japanese and Norwegian, but smaller whaling operations are run by other countries.

    There is a great deal of information on the web which would be helpful to you.
    Here are some sites which can provide you with much more information.

    http://www.shetland-museum.org.uk/museum/collections_and_history/sea/whaling/
    http://www.sub.uni-goettingen.de/ssgfi/aac-hist/infodata/000292.html
    http://www.shetland-museum.org.uk/museum/collections_and_history/sea/whaling/local_commercial_whaling.htm
    http://www.shetland-museum.org.uk/museum/collections_and_history/sea/whaling/local_commercial_whaling.htm