Careers in Marine Science

From: Nancy Stevick (Nancy.Stevick@btinternet.com)
Date: Fri Feb 04 2000 - 06:53:24 EST

On 3 February 2000, Theresa wrote:

Subject: Re: Careers in Marine Science

>Dear Mrs. Stevick
> Thanks for replying. I have written several other Marine Biologist and
>you are the first to answer. So I am going to ask you all of my questions
>and if you know someone that can reply to all of them then I would really
>appreciate. If you don't have time for this then just let me know. The
>professor gave us the interview in a format so I am going to type it just
as
>he has done.
>
> Professional Interviewed: NANCY STEVICK

> Title Occupation: WHALENET ASK SCIENTIST

> Job Description: ANSWER SCIENTIFIC QUESTIONS POSED BY USERS OF
THE WHALENET WEB SITE (IN THE PAST I HAVE WORKED AS A RESEARCH ASSOCIATE AT
ALLIED WHALE, THE MARINE MAMMAL RESEARCH LAB AT COLLEGE OF THE ATLANTIC. AT
ALLIED WHALE I WORKED ON A HUMPBACK WHALE PHOTO-IDENTIFICATION PROJECT. WE
HAD OVER 5200 IDENTIFIED HUMPBACK WHALES AND I MATCHED THEIR FLUKE
PHOTOGRAPHS AND HELPED TO MAINTAIN THE DATABASE OF THEIR SIGHTING HISTORY.
I ALSO EDITED ALLIED WHALE'S NEWSLETTER AND SERVED AS THE EDUCATION
COORDINATOR.

BEFORE THAT I WORKED ON RESEARCH PROJECTS STUDYING NORTH ATLANTIC RIGHT
WHALES, HARBOR PORPOISE, AND HARBOR SEALS.

> Length and Type of Training: 4 YEARS OF COLLEGE AND 8 YEARS OF
EXPERIENCE ON RESEARCH PROJECTS.

> Where did you attend college? COLLEGE OF THE ATLANTIC IN BAR
HARBOR, MAINE

> What are the employment opportunities Available? MARINE
MAMMALOGY IS A GROWING FIELD. THERE ARE MANY STUDENTS WORKING ON MASTERS
AND PHD DEGREES JUST NOW. WHILE THERE ARE MANY OPPORTUNITIES, THERE IS
ALSO A GREAT DEAL OF COMPETITION JUST NOW.

> Estimated income for beginning employee: MANY PEOPLE BEGIN BY
VOLUNTEERING ON A RESEARCH PROJECT, THEN MOVING INTO A PAYING POSITION. FOR
THE MOST PART, INITIAL JOBS IN MARINE MAMMALOGY DO NOT PAY VERY MUCH.

> List two reasons why you like this occupation: I GREW UP ON
THE COAST OF MAINE AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN CURIOUS ABOUT MARINE LIFE. WHALES
ARE FASCINATING CREATURES AND I ENJOY STUDYING THEM AND TEACHING OTHER
PEOPLE ABOUT THEM.

> List two Facets of this Occupation some people would dislike: IF
PEOPLE ARE PRONE TO SEASICKNESS, THEY WOULD NOT LIKE THE FIELD WORK. THERE
IS A GREAT DEAL OF TIME THAT HAS TO BE SPENT INSIDE ANALYZING DATA, AND SOME
PEOPLE WOULD FIND THIS TEDIOUS.

> What are the opportunities to advance to a higher level in this
>or a related occupation? IF YOU ARE SERIOUS ABOUT THIS FIELD, THERE IS
STILL AN ENORMOUS AMOUNT TO BE LEARNED ABOUT THESE ANIMALS. YOU CAN ADVANCE
FROM A TECHNICIAN OR FIELD ASSISTENT TO DIRECTOR OF A RESEARCH ORGANIZATION.
IF YOUR MARINE RESEARCH IS COMBINED WITH A PROFESSORSHIP, YOU CAN MOVE FROM
AN ASSISTANT OR ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR TO A FULL PROFESSOR.

> Those are all of the questions and I would also like to ask you just
for
>my knowledge a few of my own. I have always wanted to work with animals
and
>I really didn't want to be a vet so I have turned to the animals that I
cant
>work with in the water and learn about them. I was wondering what inspired
>you to become a Marine Biologist and do you have any regrets. I DON'T HAVE
ANY REGRETS ABOUT MY PROFESSIONAL CAREER. I HAVE ENJOYED ALL THE WORK THAT
I HAVE DONE. AS I MENTIONED IN MY PREVIOUS MESSAGE, I HAVE NOW STOPPED
DOING MARINE RESEARCH AND AM CURRENTLY TEACHING IN A PRIMARY SCHOOL. AS MY
CAREER PROGRESSED, I REALIZED THAT I WAS MORE INTERESTED IN TEACHING THAN IN
DATA ANALYSIS. SO, EVEN THOUGH I HAVE CHANGED CAREERS, I AM HAPPY TO HAVE
DONE THE WORK I HAVE DONE.

I hope that this fulfills your requirement for an interview. If you need
any additional information, let me know.

Best Wishes,
Nancy Stevick