Do whales have bellybuttons?

From: Nancy Stevick (Nancy.Stevick@btinternet.com)
Date: Sat Feb 05 2000 - 16:10:20 EST

On 3 February , Betsy Hall wrote:

>Hi!
>My second grade class is currently studying whales and has come up with
>some questions that I can't find the answers to. They want to know if
>(being mammals like us) whales have bellybuttons. They want to know
>where whales' ears are located and if any part of them are external.
>And finally, they want to know if whales kiss! (I tried to convince them
>that they don't really have lips but they want to hear it from an
>expert. ) Thanks for taking the time to answer these.
>
>Sincerely,
>
>Betsy Hall

Dear Betsy and second graders,

Yes, whales do have belly buttons just like us and all other mammals. In
most whales, the ears are located just behind the eyes and do not have any
external structures, just a small hole. The whales body is designed to be a
streamlined as possible, and external ears would slow down its swimming.

Whales do not kiss, but they do caress and cuddle each other with their
flippers.

I hope this answers your questions.

Cheers,
Nancy Stevick