Size of blue whale penis

From: Nancy Stevick (Nancy.Stevick@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Feb 06 2000 - 09:50:27 EST

On 5 February 2000, Jacob wrote:

>Dear Nancy,
>
> For the sake of some research I am doing for my zoology class in
>high school, I need to know the size of the Blue whale's penis and the
>mating habits of these whales. I know this is a strange request, but I
>would appreciate a reply as soon as possible. My email address is
>jebart@pop.tiac.net. Thank you very much for your kind attention and
>rapid response.
>

>Sincerely,
>
>Jacob D. Og

Dear Jacob,

Are you ready for this answer? I went to a wonderful resource entitled The
Whalebone Whales of the Western N. Atlantic Compared with Those Occurring in
European Waters by Frederick W. True. This book was was first published in
1904 and is based on measurements taken of whales killed in the major whale
fisheries of the 1800s. It is as good a resource for anatomical
measurements now as it was 100 years ago.

The penis of a 71-foot blue whale measured 6 feet long and had a
circumference of 2 feet at the base. Pretty impressive, huh?
Unfortunately, no one has ever seen blue whales mating or giving birth, so
we really don't know anything about their mating habits, in spite of all the
years these whales have been studied.

Good luck with your research. Sounds like you have a pretty progressive
teacher.

Cheers,
Nancy Stevick