whale evolution

From: Nancy Stevick (Nancy.Stevick@btinternet.com)
Date: Thu Feb 10 2000 - 07:39:17 EST

On 9 February 2000, Christine wrote:

    Hi Nancy
    my name is Christine and I am doing a biology project on the evolution of whales. My main question for you is why did whale ancestors move from land to water? I cant seem to find the exact reason why. Any information you could send me would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank You
    Christine Kearns

    Dear Christine,

    I don't think anyone really knows the answer to that question, but whales probably returned to the water because there was a plentiful food source there. At that time, the ocean was teeming with life, and it simply might have been easier to catch marine organisms than terrestrial ones. It is a good question.

    Best Wishes,
    Nancy Stevick