Migration of Killer Whales

From: Nancy Stevick (Nancy.Stevick@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 06:20:01 EST

On 12 February 2000, Jessica wrote:

Subject: Migration of Killer Whales

>Ms. Stevick,
>

>I am tenth grade student working a project for science class. I am trying
>to find
>information on the migration path of a killer whale. Ideally, I would like
>to find a
>map outlining the route they travel each year to include in my report, but
>any
>information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.
>
>Thank you for your time and consideration.

Dear Jessica,

I hate to tell you this, but killer whales do not seem to have a definite
migratory pattern. Some pods do move toward the equator in the winter and
towards polar regions during summer, but other pods remain in the same
region all year long. So, there is no migratory route you could track on a
map, I'm afraid.

Here are some web sites that have information on killer whales. Perhaps you
can find some other information to add to your report.

http://www.cs.tcd.ie/spinaweb/96_finalists/clonakilty/Killerwhale.html
http://whales.magna.com.au/DISCOVER/ORCA/index.html
http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/bib_killer_whale.html

Good luck with your orca research.