Research expeditions

From: Nancy Stevick (Nancy.Stevick@btinternet.com)
Date: Sun Feb 13 2000 - 06:41:24 EST

On 9 February, Julie Rush wrote:
    Subject: WHALES

                                                DEAR NANCY , MY NAME IS JULIE AND I AM A 34 YEAR O;D RESEARCH SCIENTIST "WANNABE". ALL MY LIFE WANTED TO BE A WILDLIFE CONSERVATIONIST UNTIL I GOT TO COLLEGE. A PROFESSOR THERE SAID THERE WOULD NO WAY I COULD MAKE A LIVING DOING THAT . HE SAID STOP DREAMING CHANGE YOU MAJOR SO YOU CAN EARN A LIVING. SOOO! I BECAME A NURSE. I AM NOW MARRIED WITH TWO SMALL CHILDREN. BUT I WOULD LIKE TO VOLUNTEER ON A EXPEDITION THAT WOULDN'T BE TERRIBLY EXPENSIVE. DO YOU KNOW OF ANY ? ANYTHING OUT THERE YOU CAN BRING YOUR FAMILY ON? I REALLY WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE. PLEASE HELP! MY EMAIL ADDRESS IS julrish@gateway.net thank you for your time. SINCERELY YOUR JULIE

    Dear Julie,

    (Sorry that this reply is so late. I had put this message in my draft folder so I could search for web sites when I was on-line, then thought I had already sent it. Whoops!)
    It is difficult to find an inexpensive volunteer position. The fee for volunteering on research expeditions covers not only the volunteer's room and board, but a portion of money to support the research. Some pay-to-volunteer programs can be found at these web sites. Most of these would not welcome your children, however. They generally restrict volunteers to teenagers or college age folks. If you do not find anything on this list that interests you or is near where you live, look at the WhaleNet Affiliates. There might be an organization there that could use your energies.

    http://www.earthwatch.org/
    http://www-db.stanford.edu/~jan/watch/oceanic1s.html
    http://www.qlf.org/intern.html
    http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/mics.html
    http://www.neaq.org/
    http://www.nesc.org/
    http://www.stranding.org/page2.html

    I would encourage you to find out if any conservation organizations are active in your area. Many of these have conservation programs in desparate need of volunteers, and they may welcome the assistance of your children. Many aquariums and museums welcome volunteers to assist with animal care or conservation.

    Good luck with your search to make a difference. There are many opportunities out there, you just need to find the one that fits your circumstances.

    Cheers,
    Nancy