Whale Migration

From: Nancy Stevick (Nancy.Stevick@btinternet.com)
Date: Mon Feb 14 2000 - 16:23:47 EST

On 13 February 2000, Karen wrote:

Subject: Whale Migration

>HI, I will be going on a cruise on Mar 4th through the 11th. It will be
>leaving Ft. Lauderdale and heading to Cozumel, Hundyris, and Belise. I
>know whales migrate all over the world. What I was wondering was whether
>there would be any whales in the area we are traveling during that time
>of year? If so what kind so that I would know what to look for?
>
>Thank you in advance for your assistance. I have already on my fourth
>page of a listing on a web search and have come up with nothing. I am
>hoping you could help.
>
>Karen in Michigan

Dear Karen,

I don't think you are likely to see many large whales in that area at that
time of year. You might see a Brydes whale, but you are far more likely to
see dolphins. A Field Guide to Marine Mammals in the Gulf of Mexico was
just published by Sea Grant. I am including information on this publication
as it might provide you with more information on the species that frequent
that area. This posting came from Marmam, the marine mammal bulletin board.
It has information on how to order the field guide on-line if you are
interested.

Have a great time on your cruise. I hope you see wonderful wildlife.

Nancy Stevick