Mass strandings articles

From: Howard Garrett (tokitae@pugetsound.net)
Date: Wed Feb 16 2000 - 00:52:07 EST

Hello!

I am presently doing a research on mass strandings of marine mammals and am
searching for journal articles that could help greatly in my project. Could
you point me in the right direction? I have not yet found a jackpot of
articles
for a proper scientific paper.

Sarah Hui
shui2@po-box.mcgill.ca

Dear Sarah,

Unfortunately I don't have immediate access to references on mass
strandings. You might try the Whalenet search engine, or the archives of
the Journal of the Society for Marine Mammalogy, at
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~smm/mms.htm and search for titles about mass
strandings. If you find a relevant article you'll need to look at the
article to find further references. Otherwise you may need to visit a
library and ask the librarian how to search using their computer system.

I suspect that you will find a variety of theories to explain mass
strandings, from parasites disrupting orientation, to magnetic anomalies in
the Earth's crust affecting the magnetite in the brains of cetaceans. Some
theories, based on the demonstrated tight social cohesion of the species
that tend to strand, is that the social order demands that the family group
remain together, and if one member becomes stranded, the others will not
leave and may strand over the course of a few hours. Best of luck in your
search.

Howard Garrett
Tokitae Orca Conservation Foundation
Greenbank WA 98253