Re: Killer Whale questions

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 17:48:05 EST

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000 11:06:32 -0500 Michael Stiling <mbs01545@flash.net>
writes:
> Hi,
>
> My name is Alex, and I am a second grader doing a report on
> Killer
> Whales. Do mother killer whales teach their babies how to survive?
> How
> long can killer whales stay under the water when they dive? How long
> do
> killer whales live? How deep do killer whales dive? Do families of
> killer whales stay together for their whole lives? Thank you for
> answering my questions.

Hi Alex,

You are correct that mother Orcas (Killer Whales) do teach their babies
to survive. They not only teach swimming and navigation but who to avoid
and what is food! The longest dive that I know of for a Killer Whale is
about 20 minutes but they usually stay down for shorter times. Orca can
live up to 34 years. I'm not really sure of the deepest that they dive
since they are animals that inhabit the shallow waters near the surface.
Families (or PODS) of Orcas generally stay together with the possible
exception of the "rogues" who wander the globe. Good luck!!

Peter

Peter M. Scheifele
129 Hunters Road, Norwich, CT 06360
860-405-9103; acousticp2@juno.com