Re: biology

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 17:03:59 EST

Well now, this is quite a different question! I am not a biologist but a
physicist however I think I can give you a bit to think about...
There are times when we want to measure populations of organisms
underwater. For instance, I have measured the population density of Sand
Lance in the Gulf of Maine to attempt to relate it to the number of
whales that congregate there in summer. We do this using a Remotely
Operated Vehicle (ROV) underwater robot. We take video footage in what is
called a "quadrat" or square and then count organisms within that area.
Similarly, we use laser beams that are set in a line segment 10 cm apart
to measure the length of fish underwater using the ROV. I hope this gets
you started!!

Peter M. Scheifele
129 Hunters Road, Norwich, CT 06360
860-405-9103; acousticp2@juno.com