right whales mailing campaign (fwd)

From: Mike Williamson (pita@www1.wheelock.edu)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 10:27:07 EST

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 19:31:59 -0500
From: Peter M Scheifele <acousticp2@juno.com>
To: default@mtnbrook.k12.al.us
Cc: pita@whale.wheelock.edu, kburnett@whale.wheelock.edu
Subject: right whales mailing campaign

Dear Ms. Storey
I would begin by sending letters to congressmen in Maine, Massachusetts,
CT and RI to seek protection for these endangered animals. Letters to
the National Marine Fisheries Service would also help. The hottest issue
at present regarding these whales is ship strikes. I am doing some work
on the hearing of these whales and ship signatures but there are others
as well and every scientist is akin to a starving artist when it comes to
funding. I know of no adoption program but would steer you to contact
the Cetacean Research Unit [CRU] in MA to learn more. Unfortunately I do
not have names and addresses available . I'll send you the CRU
Director's e-mail and you may use me as a reference. It is
mason@cetacean.org

Good luck!
Peter

On Wed, 01 Mar 2000 09:43:05 -0600 default <default@mtnbrook.k12.al.us>
writes:
> I have a gifted student who wants to do a letter writing campaign and
> coloring book about protecting and or helping the right whale.
> Could
> you give me some suggestions of HOW people can help the right whale?
> whale adoption? donations for research? write to powerful people to
> oppose off shore oil drilling? MORE??? I really need some names
> and
> addresses of people who could be persuaded to help the cause. Any
> help
> would be appreciated!
> Thanks,
> Melinda Storey