Whales & their to earthquakes

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 06:23:42 EST

Dear Peggy

Your question is very interesting. The short answer is that I cannot
find any documented cases of this ever having been done however, no one
has probably investigated this behaviour.

Consider the following (for your entertainment) though:

I try to avoid tagging any animal as being "smart" or intelligent because
it s a relative thing with a lot of uncertainties attached to it and
depends on the relative strengths and weaknesses of the organism (for
instance dolphins are much better at processing sound than most other
animals because their brain is designed for it...but that doesn't make
them intelligent). They (whales) do appear to be very perceptive and
appear to learn readily though.

Some scientists believe that whales are subject to being affected by
magnetic anomalies in the earth. If this is in any way true then ne
would think that sensing seismic disturbances may indeed be possible!
Best
Peter

On Mon, 6 Mar 2000 22:31:01 EST Izzybee2000@aol.com writes:
> Since whales are so intelligent, and they seem to have heightened
> senses - I
> was wondering:
> Have whales been known to leave a shoreline prior or an
> earthquake or
> other seismic activity so they can get out to safer waters?
> Thank you. Peggy

Peter M. Scheifele
129 Hunters Road, Norwich, CT 06360
860-405-9103; acousticp2@juno.com