Whale communication distances by species in sound channels and sound channel mapping

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 06:35:18 EST

Hi Ray

Your line of questioning is most interesting. You sound as if you are an
engineer or at least someone in a technical field with a real interest in
underwater acoustics.

A species of whale that is known to dive the deepest is the Sperm Whale
but there are others.
A good source of info (although you'd have to read about each whale) is
the Hand book of Marine Mammals.

I have no spreadsheet data on communication distances as they vary with
many things including frequency of thee signal, tem, salinity and depth,
sea state and so on. Using the Navy's SOSUS array Chris Clark and others
have acoustically monitored Blue and Fin whales for distances that span
perhaps half the blobe though!

Sound channels have not been mapped since they change with oceanic and
meteorological characteristics.

Great questions Ray! I love it!
Best
Peter