Beached Whale ID

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Tue Mar 07 2000 - 19:32:37 EST

Hi Linda

I'm having a bit of a time with this one. The photos are great but none
were taken of the fin and tail flukes, which would be telling factors for
me. As best I can guess the choices are: a) young Fin Whale, b) large
Minke, c) Brydes Whale. My vote would be for the Fin Whale. If you have
any other photos I may be able to positively ID the animal.

Best Regards,
Peter

On Tue, 7 Mar 2000 18:13:36 -0500 "Bruce/Linda/Martina"
<martina@mail.batelnet.bs> writes:

> If possible, please identify the species of this whale. It was
> found beached on March 4th, 2000, at Eleuthera, Bahamas. Appearing
> to be sickly and loosing a lot of blood, it soon died. It was 50
> feet in length and it's underside was white.
>
> Thanks, Linda

Peter M. Scheifele
129 Hunters Road, Norwich, CT 06360
860-405-9103; acousticp2@juno.com