Whale communication and sound channels

From: Peter M Scheifele (acousticp2@juno.com)
Date: Fri Mar 10 2000 - 16:30:16 EST

Hi Ray

Having a dialogue with you is a walk in the park as long as you're
patient with me as I'm in and out of town.

No, the movement of whales during migration and feeding does not
necessarily
 track over the top of the sound channels in the ocean especially since
the sound channels can change just as a current can.

The sperm whale (and others) can stay down for upwards of 40 - 50 minutes
(give or take). I have exact stats in my office but won't be there for a
while.

Whales can be heard by SOME of our instruments within sound channels SOME
times? This is not a hard and fast thing but certainly the SOSUS array
is quite capable for animals in and out of the sound channel.

 How widely separated are whales within the sames species within the same
ocean?

I'm a bit dense here and not sure what you are asking. As an example,
Fin whales in the Atlantic are varied in location. So are dolphins
however dolphin pods (albeit spread apart can have up to thousands of
animals in them.

 Have the sound channels been determined to be the main communications
link for whales?

Absolutely not.

Do you feel that there is more that we can learn from the whales and
their communication that applies to human understanding
of communication?

Most definately! Hearing and speech pathology are quite similar and yet
have quite a few differences (auatic versus aerial ears and sound
production). This is what I do my research on. I am doing hearing tests
with Belugas and studying the effects of nthropogenic noise on their
hearing. That is essentially the same as "occupational noise exposure to
humans." I am also applying speech pathological protocols to the Beluga
by the development of an "articulation index" for them. We have a very
long way to go.

Look forward to hearing from you...
Best
Dr. Pete