Whales in Gulf of Mexico

From: Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 13:20:14 EST

Hello Kate:
Your project is very worthwhile! Galveston is located on the Gulf of
Mexico. This Gulf has many different marine mammal species including
bottlenose dolphins, rare but sometime killer whales, even sperm whales
have been found stranded off Florida. The Gulf of Mexico is a diverse
habitat for many types of animals and needs to be protected. Please search
in the directory of WhaleNet's pages to find out more about the species
that can be found off Galveston. Goodluck! Kim

Question:

Dear Kim Marshall-Tilas,
> Hello, my name is Kate Levin and I am a 13 year old student at Hudson
>Middle School, Hudson, Ohio. In our science class we are studying oil spills.
>We were recently given a project where we were all assigned groups and in
>those groups different science jobs. There were jobs such as marine
>biologist, economist, harbor master, and risk planer. I was assigned risk
>planner. For my job I have to evaluate Galveston, Texas as a hypothetical
>port for shipping oil. I was wondering if you could tell me if there are any
>whales or dolphins that live in that area so I can see if an oil spill would
>effect them. Thank you very much.
>
> Sincerely,
> Kate Levin

Whale Conservation Institute/Ocean Alliance
191 Weston Road, Lincoln, MA
(781) 259-0423
www.oceanalliance.org