Dolphin Tuna/Strandings Inf.

From: Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Date: Sat Mar 18 2000 - 13:50:47 EST

>Hello Sara and Kari,

Question 1:
>Myself and my classmate are attending Hawai'i Pacific Unitversity and as an
>assignment for our English paper we are to research a subject in our degree
>field. We both happen to be in the marine biology department and would like
>your insight on two questions we have. We are trying to get several
>different sources.
>1.) Are the dophin safe tuna programs working or is it still a growing
>concern and/or problem? It would be very helpful if you were able to point
>us in the right direction of any possible sites we would be able to visit for
>some information on this.

Reply #1: The Dolphin Safe Tuna Program is very successful in that in
helped educate people about the problem which promoted the changes to
protect the dolphins. The system is not perfect but there is a special
commission that deals with regulations and enforcement of the rules and
there are many organizations like the Earth Island Institute watching out
for the dolphins.

Question 2.) Are the stranding and rehabilitating networks for marine mammals
>successful enough to continue the funding? I have found that in many
>articles, the majority of the stranded mammals are dead when they are
>stranded or die while in the rehabilitation programs and the amount of
>success has been low. I was wondering if it just so happens to be in the
>areas i happen to look or if is a problem on a larger scale.

Reply #2: Stranding programs work to help not only the live stranded
animals but also allows us to learn about different species needs from the
dead ones. Without stranding

Whale Conservation Institute/Ocean Alliance
191 Weston Road, Lincoln, MA
(781) 259-0423
www.oceanalliance.org