Marine Biology Career Questions

From: Kim Marshall (kimm@oceanalliance.org)
Date: Thu Mar 23 2000 - 10:11:48 EST

>Replies: Dear Jessica: Please see answers after each question.

Request:
Hi,
> My name is Jessica and I am doing a career project for three of my
>classes. I have a very crazy schedule because of softball games and
>practices, and because I am going to a spanish festival for school. I
>need to interview a marine biologist before tomorrow night. I am sorry
>for the immediate response that I need but I would greatly appetite your
>help. Here are the ten questions I would like you to answer.
>
> 1. What do marine biologists do in the field?
A variety of things actually but when you are studying whales in the field
you spend a lot of time observing behaviors and collecting data to be
analysed later on. Data like photo identifications, timed behaviors,
threats, reactions to different things like boats, etc.

> 2. Why do marine biologists make such little money?
I believe that biologists usually make little money because most of them
are not trained in business techniques needed to convince corporations and
foundations to pay more for their studies.

> 3. What class do I need to take that way I could become a marine
>biologist? You need to stick with the sciences - all of them! plus add
>languages and of course business skills as well.
>
> 4. How can I work with marine mammals in a park? Please see
>WhaleNet's career page at
>http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenetstuff/ed_resources.html
>
> 5. How hard is it to get a job in marine biology? you must be
>prepared to volunteer your time to learn at the beginning.
>
> 6. How long do I need to be in college before I start to work in the
>field? I worked at the Whale Conservation Institute as I went through
>college.
>
> 7. Do you know which college is the number one to go to for the best
>learning experience? See #4
>
> 8. How much does it cost for you to do a years worth of work on you
>part? This depends on the studies that you want to do and the kind of
>equipment you need to do it.
>
> 9. If I wanted to do a mammal for my marine career how many jobs
>would be out there in a few years? The field is expanding all the time.
>If you are willing to work hard and learn you will have plenty of
>opportunties.
>
> 10. Is it better to work at a park, in the field, a university, or a
>research center? This depends on what you want to study - if you want to
>learn about blue whales then you will have to work from a boat in the
>field.
>
> It would be very helpful if you help me in my project. I would like
>you to respond if possible by tomorrow.
>
> Jessica

Whale Conservation Institute/Ocean Alliance
191 Weston Road, Lincoln, MA
(781) 259-0423
www.oceanalliance.org