Taxonomy and pictures - whales

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Mar 27 2000 - 09:03:38 EST

Dear Ms. Fertl

Could you help me find information on whale taxonomy and pictures of its
species? I would like to know every whale species and how do they look.

Thank you for your time

Regards,
Darmawan
Darmawan,

I would recommend that you take a look thru the WhaleNet site links, which
will provide some great information pertaining to your question.
I can also recommend that you take a look at the Sierra Club Handbook of
Whales and Dolphins which was written by Stephen Leatherwood and Randall R.
Reeves. Basically, whales, dolphins, and porpoises belong to the order
Cetacea. There are 2 suborders of cetaceans - mysticetes (baleen whales) and
odontocetes (toothed whales). There are three families of baleen whales, and
there are nine families of toothed whales (including the largest family,
which is the oceanic dolphins).

Have fun searching around for the photos, which is fun!
Dagmar