Cold-blooded mammals?

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 17:28:20 EST

Could you tell me what the only cold-blooded mammal is? Our science
teacher gave this question for extra points. He said we could find it
on the internet if our parents let us. Thank you. My name is Leah and I am
10.
********************
Hi Leah,

Sounds like your science teacher was giving you a trick question. I'm going
to assume that you understand that being warm-blooded means that you can
regulate your body temperature no matter what the weather is.

The only mammal that can't do this, is dying or dead. ....and that would be
my final answer.

Good luck! Let me know if I was right with the answer. Now, if your teacher
had asked which mammal lays eggs, you'd say duckbill platypus. There is a
reptile that is 'warm-blooded'...the leatherback sea turtle. And, of course,
there has been a lot of talk about whether dinosaurs might not have been
warm-blooded.

Dagmar