Whale skull

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Mar 29 2000 - 09:25:30 EST

I have a large whale skull I found on the beach, about 3 feet by 5. It is a
baleen whale, but I don't know how to go about identifying it further. Any
suggestions?
Hi there! I assume you must know something about whales and dolphins to know
that the skull you have is of a baleen whale.

You didn't say where you are located. For me to point you in the direction
of someone in your neck of the woods who can make the identification, I
would need to know that.

As a gentle reminder, if you are located in the United States, it is illegal
for you to keep the skull (because of the Marine Mammal Protection Act which
protects both live animals and dead animals - bones and tissues), unless you
have a permit to do so.

I encourage you to write back and also to make the skull available to
scientists to use.

Regards,
Dagmar