Killer whales - types

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 09:28:01 EDT

Hi! I am 13 years old and am very interested in whales and dolphins. In fact
when i grow up i want to be a marine biolagiest. I have a question about
Killer whales. Here it is: I know about the Residents and Transients but
what is all this talk about Offshores? What is a offshore?

Sincerly,
Rachel
*****************************
Rachel,

I think what that means is killer whales that do not fit in the category of
being a resident or transient, based on what we know from North Pacific
killer whales. Offshore killer whales would be those living away from shore
and in deeper waters. Offshore killer whales probably have characteristics
that match both transients and residents, particularly in what they eat.
Offshore killer whales would need to be both fish and marine mammal
eaters...eating whatever they can find, since there food might not be as
predictable.

How does that sound?
Dagmar