Parental care - whales

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 03 2000 - 10:56:30 EDT

I am looking for information on parental care in whales for a school
project. Could you help me to find a site which would provide this info?

Thanks.
I'm not aware of any website that might have that particular information. A
terrific book chapter would be:

Wells, R.S., D.J. Boness, and G.B. Rathbun. 1999. Behavior. IN Biology of
Marine Mammals, Smithsonian Institution Press.

Males don't participate in care of offspring, since they are not assured of
paternity (that's why there's monogamy for humans). Females do all the care.