whale-watching

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 10:59:38 EDT

Hi my name is Karen and I'm from Massachusetts, I love going to see the
whales but just wondered if you knew when the best time to go view them was?
A friend of mine went lastyear in May out of Cape Cod and saw a huge group
of whales. I was wondering if there is a certian time of the year when the
whales travel a certian route, through that area of the ocean.

Thank you,
Karen Szwaja
***********************
Hi Karen! I answered this question a year or so ago, and the answer should
still be in the archives for WhaleNet. Since I live down by the Gulf of
Mexico, it would be best if you were to contact someone conducting
whalewatches in your area. I know information can be found on the web. I
would say that summer is probably the best time, but for different species
of whales, some time periods are better than others. A good group to contact
in your area is the Cetacean Research Unit in Gloucester at 978-281-6351.
These are people who are scientists as well, which means that you'll get a
great whalewatch with people who know the whales well.

Have fun!
Dagmar