Long Island marine mammals

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 11:39:44 EDT

Dear Dagmar,

I had heard that there was once Orcas and other dolphins and porpoises in
the Long Island sound. Is this true? I had also heard that they were driven
out by pollution is this also true? if it is is it possible that cetaceans
could come back to Long Island sound? In fact are there still cetaceans in
the long island sound i haven't seen or heard of any bu are there?

                                          yours truely
                                    Alyssa Maxon age 14
Hi Alyssa! Actually, I do believe that there are some marine mammals in your
area. I would recommend that you contact Southampton College, Long Island.
There are two scientists there that study marine mammals. One is Paul
Forestell, the other is Sam Sadove. Feel free to use my name when you speak
with either one of them. Since Long Island is really out of my area of
knowledge, it's best that you talk to an expert there.

Dagmar