Sperm whale habitat

From: Dagmar Fertl (dagmar_fertl@hotmail.com)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 11:46:25 EDT

Hi my name is Mark Zhang and I go to Lowell High School. I'm doing a
project on sperm whales for my biology class and need some information. I
was wondering if you have a current habitat map and a historic habitat map
for the sperm whale. If you could send me a website with a picture of those
I would be very grateful.

Please do not feel obligated to find the habitat maps for me because sending
you a letter is part of the criteria of my project. A simple reply would be
fine. Thank You.
**********************
Mark,

I have a map of the current distribution range of sperm whales, which is
much like the historic range. What changes is the abundance of whales over
time. I'm not aware of a website that has that particular information, but
there are some great field guides that show those distribution maps, if you
are interested. I have mentioned those field guides in earlier replies to
WhaleNet questions sent last week. Just check through the list of anything
asking about habitat.

Good luck with the project.
Dagmar