hair ball (fwd)

From: Mike Williamson (pita@www1.wheelock.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 17:07:26 EDT

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 09:50:25 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Phillip J. Clapham" <pclapham@whsun1.wh.whoi.edu>
To: Jackie Stricklan <jackies@proaxis.com>, phillip.clapham@noaa.gov,
    pita@whale.wheelock.edu, kburnett@whale.wheelock.edu
Subject: Re: hair ball

Nope! I don't know what you have but it isn't from a whale. Hairballs
come from animals cleaning their fur and unintentionally ingesting hair; my
three cats are exceptionally practised at this feat, which usually ends
with the accumulated bundle returning to grace my carpet as hirsute
throw-up. Yuk.
With the exception of a few vibrissae (which are more like cats' whiskers
than fur) in various places, whales don't have hair, hence no hairballs.
Just as well; a blue whale hairball would probably take up most of your
living room...!

Phil Clapham