whale age

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 13:49:45 EDT

Hi Meredith:

The answer is probably the bowhead whale, which lives in the Arctic. It
seems likely that they live for over a hundred years, possibly to 150.
Right whales live to at least 70, and fin whales to more than 80. The
oldest known humpback was 48, but that was at a time when most of the
nig (old) animals had already been killed by whaling, so they may live
longer than that.

Phil Clapham

--

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543

tel (508) 495-2316 fax (508) 495-2066 Internet: phillip.clapham@noaa.gov