respiration

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Wed Apr 19 2000 - 14:08:02 EDT

Hi Beth:

Good question. It's basically the same as with us - there's a feedback
mechanism involving carbon dioxide buildup which reaches a certain level
(threshold) and cues the whale to surface for air.

Phil Clapham

--

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543

tel (508) 495-2316 fax (508) 495-2066 Internet: phillip.clapham@noaa.gov