Sharks and whales

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Thu Apr 20 2000 - 11:51:38 EDT

Hi:

The only times that sharks have been seen attacking whales (and it's on
very few occasions) is newborn calves. There was a case with a humpback
whale calf being eaten by tiger sharks in Hawaii a few years ago, and we
don't know how much they ate but quite a lot of it probably. Killer
whales also attack large whales sometimes, probably also calves mosty,
and they probably eat a lot of the animal!

Phil

--

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543

tel (508) 495-2316 fax (508) 495-2066 Internet: phillip.clapham@noaa.gov