Population estimates

From: Mike Williamson (pita@www1.wheelock.edu)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 13:40:22 EDT

Hi.

On Sun, 30 Apr 2000 Shalima528@aol.com wrote:

> HI,
> I have a question in the field of mapping science.
>
> How does one calculate the total population of whales in a specific ocean?
> With satellites, Ariel photography, sensors, etc.?
>
> Thanks
> Cheryl Hamilton

Total whale populations are basically done statistically using transects.
A transect is a means of defining the rules by which data is collected in
a set area or areas and then the estimate of a total population is
calculated. This would have to be done for each population of a
particular species. It isn't easy and has sometimes has a wide margin of
error.

Mike