Manatee population

From: Save the Manatee (education@savethemanatee.org)
Date: Fri May 05 2000 - 11:00:47 EDT

Dear Karla,

For years now, researchers have believed that the manatee population was
somewhere between 2,000 and 3,000 animals. The last aerial survey of the
Florida manatee population was done in January 2000. The survey showed a
population count of 2,222 manatees. A synoptic survey is a statewide aerial
survey designed to get a head count of individual manatees. The success of
synoptic surveys is very dependent on weather conditions. If the weather is
cold and clear, then manatees are gathered around warm water sites, making
it easier to get a "nose" count. Synoptic surveys are not the most reliable
way to determine overall manatee population because so much depends on
weather conditions, but they are the only available method at present.

Other surveys from past years have yielded the following results:

January 23-24, 1991 - 1,268
February 17-18, 1991 - 1,465
January 17-18, 1992 - 1,856
January 21-22, 1995 - 1,443
February 6-7, 1995 - 1,822
January 9-10, 1996 - 2,274
February 18-19, 1996 - 2,639
January 19-20, 1997-2,229
February 13, 1997-1,709
January 29-30,1998-2,022
January 6,1999-1,873
February 23, 1999 - 2,034
March 6, 1999 - 2,353
January 16-17, 2000 - 1,629
January 27, 2000 - 2,222

We appreciate your interest in manatees!

Sincerely,
Nancy Sadusky
Communications Director
Save the Manatee Club