Green tide in Mexico

From: CORE (core@coreresearch.org)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 11:53:29 EDT

Dear Debbie,

We are not familiar with the phenomenon of "Green Tide" in Mexico. There is
a phenomenon on the East Coast of the United States (and other areas of the
world) called the Red Tide. Microorganisms called Diatoms sometimes become
toxic due to pollutants in the water (from run-off and other sources). The
diatoms get into food chain - such as when filter feeding animals like
clams eat them - and can create a public health threat if humans eat the
clams. The diatoms carry a toxin that causes paralysis in certain animals
(like whales and humans) if consumed in any quantity.

We have never heard of this phenomenon in Mexico, but will try to find out
more.

Thank you for your question!

Sincerely,

Lisa Foerster
Center for Oceanic Research and Education