Whale kidney's

From: CORE (core@coreresearch.org)
Date: Tue May 09 2000 - 12:24:52 EDT

 Why are the feces of whales liquid also?

I'm not entirely certain why it is liquid, except that they digest their
food very thoroughly. Sometimes it is more solid than other times, too. It
may depend on the amount of food ingested and/or the type of food eaten
(fish versus zooplankton).

 Do both the kidney's overlap the lowest ribs, even though the ribs are
moveable?

I don't think so, but I will try to find out!

 Do both kidney's have the adrenal gland on top if it?

Yes.

 I know whales are able to drink fresh water, if they were moved permantly
into a fresh water habitat and were able to survive, would their kidney's
"devolve" back to the ways ours are, would they loose lobes? Or since they
would still be taking in a great amount of water, would they stay the same?

Since whales don't really swallow water (they get all the fresh water they
need from the food the ingest) their kidneys would probably remain the same
for a very long time.