population and curriculum interest

From: Mike Williamson (pita@www1.wheelock.edu)
Date: Sat May 13 2000 - 16:06:10 EDT

> I am a middle school teacher working for the
Plano Independent School District in Plano, TX.
We are currently completely rewriting our
middle school program in a 5 year directive from our school board.
We have used and will still be using the Voyage of the Mimi for one
 of the components of our 6th grade curriculum. Our focus
 is two-fold, one is for the interdependence of organisms within
 the ocean systems and the interaction of matter and energy.
 In constructing skills to embed in activities, I am looking for
 the most current numbers of whale populations to reinforce the skill of
graphing. Can you tell me where I can get the most up-to-date
 information on whale populations including various species and
what is the most accepted method for collecting such data?
> Mary
> presleym@mindspring.com
>Hi,

You can get data from the WhaleNet curriculum page:
http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/curriculum.html and the link to
the population analysis info
http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/ser_population.html

The current mthods use statistics and transect lines. All someone
complicated. There is much more info on this curriculum page. The Voyage
of the Mimi is still widely used but a little out of date. We hope that
WhaleNet helps bridge that gap with technology. If you have questions
please contact me.

Mike Williamson
WhaleNet