Taxonomy

From: Pieter Arend Folkens (animalbytes@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Jun 05 2000 - 17:28:14 EDT

>I'm a grad student at the University of Windsor and about to start a
>taxonomy project on certain fish imported from a study done over seas. I
>was wondering if you knew where I could get a standardized taxonomy keys for
>fish.

Dear James:

Fish taxonomy is beyond the scope of the WhaleNet as whales are not fish. I
can tell you as much as you'd ever want to know about Marine Mammal
Taxonomy, even sea birds, but fish knowledge is lacking here. I suggest you
approach government fisheries officials as it is their job to follow the
various lower marine vertebrates. I know that here on the west coast of
North America we have several fish keys on gamefish, groundfish, and others
published by the state and federal governments.

Cheers,

Pieter Folkens

   \\|
    \|