narwhal tusk specie discrepancy broughton

From: BarbyNose@aol.com
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 11:05:46 EDT

Initial Request:
From: broughton
Date: Aug 13, 2000
The narwhal tusk is spiraled with a surface form characterized by raised
whorls that twist forward. Thus, the surface form has a morphology similar to
the sprial on a thick rope. However, my family has had a tusk that lacks the
raised whorl form, and consists on a smooth surface. In contrast our tusk has
the spiraled form as a surficial pattern only--similar to that seen on the
surface of a "candy cane." The question arises as to why all other tusks I
have seen are so different from ours. Does this suggest that ours is from a
different species, or that perhaps the surface of the tusk has been ground
smooth. Out tusk is 103 inches in length.

This is my website, plz copy it and paste it into your browser and let me
know your comments:
http://barbynose.homestead.com/barbynose.html