STDs in Whales? (fwd)

From: pita admininstrator (pita@www1.wheelock.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 05 2000 - 13:32:16 EDT

Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 05:47:11 -0400
From: Phil Clapham <phillip.clapham@noaa.gov>
To: Susangcarr@aol.com
Cc: pita@whale.wheelock.edu
Subject: Re: Are there STDs in Whales?

Hi:

Interesting question. Whoever he is, he hasn't published on this to my
knowledge. Nematodes of many types commonly infest mammals, including
marine mammals. Indeed, the giant nematode Crassicauda (think very
large, as in you'd need a bucket to coil it in!) infests baleen whales
such as fins and humpbacks. One parasitologist believes that a lot of
the natural mortality among fin whales is due to crassicaudosis, where
massive infestation of vital organs (notably kidneys) results in organ
failure.

I have never heard of any sexually transmitted disease in cetaceans,
although there's no reason reason why one shouldn't exist. If this has
been published anywhere, it will either be in some obscure medical/vet
journal, or maybe in the Scientific Reports of the Whales Research
Institute, Tokyo (now defunct).

I'll check with someone I know who's a parasitologist and see if he has
any idea.

Regards,

Phil Clapham

--

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543

tel (508) 495-2316 fax (508) 495-2258 Internet: phillip.clapham@noaa.gov