Re: college?

From: Phil Clapham (phillip.clapham@noaa.gov)
Date: Thu Sep 07 2000 - 09:10:39 EDT

Hi:

Jeez, you certainly have your future planned out! Probably telling you
to be flexible won't help... There are various strategies. Some would
say that you should get a really strong background in biology at
undergrad and then specialize after that. There's a lot to this
argument, although personally I'd say that you're better off picking a
good school that also has a an active research program in something that
interests you; that way you can volunteer with the program and get the
experience and the contacts which are as important to a career as the
training itself.

A good school that has marine science, zoology and veterinary stuff will
be difficult to find in one package. However, you could find a good
biology school that is in a city where there are other institutions that
are relevant. Example: San Diego, where you have some great schools
(UCSD, Scripps) and a lot of research elsewhere (SW Fisheries Science
Center, Scripps, Hubbs Sea World). Boston (lots of schools, New England
Aquarium, and then Woods Hole 1.5 hrs away, plus a major marine mammal
stranding network and various whale research institutions). U Florida
at Gainesville has a good vet program, I hear, and their biology dept
used to be really good, but I know nothing about the details these
days. Miami (the University, though it's better at grad level for
biology; Sea World).

Hope this helps - good luck!

Phil Clapham

Check out the Society for Marine Mammalogy's career section on their web
site:

http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~smm/strat.htm

--

Phillip J. Clapham, Ph.D. Large Whale Biology Program Northeast Fisheries Science Center 166 Water Street Woods Hole, MA 02543

tel (508) 495-2316 fax (508) 495-2258 Internet: phillip.clapham@noaa.gov