From: Phillip J. Clapham (pclapham@whsun1.wh.whoi.edu)
Date: Mon Sep 11 2000 - 06:30:38 EDT

>What is the study of whales called?
The study of whales is called cetology. The word comes from the Greek
ketos, meaning "whale" (the root probably means "sea monster"); it also
underlies the word "cetacean", which is used to describe all of the whales,
dolphins and porpoises - they're all cetaceans.

Phil Clapham

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Sat Aug 04 2001 - 10:40:13 EDT