whale groups

From: Phillip J. Clapham (pclapham@whsun1.wh.whoi.edu)
Date: Tue Sep 12 2000 - 16:58:40 EDT

The correct term ("collective noun", if you want to get technical!) for a
group of whales is a "pod". There are a few other terms out there that get
used as well: group, herd, school (none of which are really correct). In
old whaling days, whalers often referred to groups of whales as "gams".
There are some great collective nouns for other critters. My favorites are
a charm of finches, an exaltation of larks, a murmuration of starlings, a
parliament of owls, and a murder of crows!
Phil Clapham

This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Sat Aug 04 2001 - 10:40:13 EDT