True's Beak Nose Whale??

From: Greg Early (gearly@neaq.org)
Date: Mon Sep 25 2000 - 11:58:58 EDT

Jodi,

It is not surprising that they had some trouble identifying the whales.
Few people have seen True's beaked whales alive, and one of the problems is
that only the males develop the distinctive teeth that make identification
easier(True's are smallish beaked whales so your description is in the
right size range). I can't guarantee that I could identify them either,
however, I am sending a couple of web sites with information on True's
beaked whale strandings. In fact, the only beaked whale I have found so
far was a female whale, had been dead quite a long while before it was
found, and as I recall I mis-identified it and had to be corrected by a
friend and colleague at the Smithsonian who figured out what it was based
on the skull (It turned out to be a True's beaked whale as I recall).

http://www.mmsc.org/info/whale-truebeaked.html
http://www.tmmsn.org/mmgulf/mesoplodon_mirus.html

ge

At 09:10 PM 9/24/00 EDT, you wrote:
>Hi
>I Just came back from Honduras and was involved in a beached whale rescue.
>was staying at Anthony's Key resort which houses the Center for Marine
>Sciences there. They supplied the rescue boat I went on. They feel the 3
>whales we rescued were True's Beak Nose Whales 900lbs. But they were not
sure.
>They said if that is what it was, they never saw one alive. The Whales were
>in good condition so they feel they just got disoriented.
>If I e-mail a full photo of the Whale, would you be able to give me a
>positive identification.
>If it is a True's Whale, is it as rare as they say it is? The 3 whales were
>set free successfully. I feel lucky to have been able to join the rescue
>mission as a photographer.
>Looking forward to your response.
>Thank You
>Jodi Jacobson